Heat is extremely hard on cell phones, gadgets - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Heat is extremely hard on cell phones, gadgets

Posted: Updated:
Lithium ion batteries inside can expand and stop working in the heat. Lithium ion batteries inside can expand and stop working in the heat.
CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) -

Did you know extreme heat is hard on your electronic gadgets, which could be hazardous to your health?

With temperatures in the 90s and 100s your cell phone and other gadgets like your tablet and lap top could wind up with heat stroke. 

Leaving your device on your dashboard on days like today is about the worst thing you can do.

It can cause permanent damage. 

Many smart phones have an alert. Many say their phone became disabled showing it was too hot.

Those lithium ion batteries inside can expand and stop working in the heat. 

In extreme cases the batteries can explode, causing a potentially toxic situation. 

"Most electronic devices and the batteries will both have internal temperature sensors which will cause them to warn you or shut down in an overheat," said Eric Bennett, Co-Owner of Velocity Electronics in Cape Girardeau. "My advice is to keep electronics out of heat, and if you do have to get them out in the heat have air flow on them." 

Extreme temps are not good for your device overall.

Experts say heat can decrease the life of not just the battery, but the entire gadget. 

Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

310 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

FCC Public File
publicfile@kfvs12.com
573-335-1212
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFVS12. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.