13 year old does what he can to help his brother who was on fire - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

13-year-old does what he can to help his brother who was on fire

Posted: Updated:
Charles Mosby is comforted by a friend Charles Mosby is comforted by a friend
Solomon being taken away an ambulance. Solomon being taken away an ambulance.
  • Heartland NewsMore>>

  • State fire marshal investigating West Frankfort high rise building fires

    State fire marshal investigating West Frankfort high rise building fires

    Monday, July 28 2014 1:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 05:27:38 GMT
    West Frankfort Fire Department was sent out to the Anna Gray High Rise Building on Main Street for five different fire calls throughout the day on Saturday. 
    West Frankfort Fire Department was sent out to the Anna Gray High Rise Building on Main Street for five different fire calls throughout the day on Saturday. 
  • Everyday Hero: Beverly Thomas

    Everyday Hero: Beverly Thomas

    Sunday, July 27 2014 11:42 PM EDT2014-07-28 03:42:32 GMT
    KENNETT, MO (KFVS) - "Hello, how you all doing?"When you walk into Leonard's and Virgie's Place in downtown Kennett, Missouri, you're greeted like family. "She helps everybody," said Roy Jones. "You know she doesn't just help the low income people. She actually helps working people who work every day, but maybe aren't making a substantial amount of money to support them and their family."Beverly Thomas started Leonard's and Virgie's Place in honor of her parents, who were known in the commun...
    KENNETT, MO (KFVS) - "Hello, how you all doing?"When you walk into Leonard's and Virgie's Place in downtown Kennett, Missouri, you're greeted like family. "She helps everybody," said Roy Jones. "You know she doesn't just help the low income people. She actually helps working people who work every day, but maybe aren't making a substantial amount of money to support them and their family."Beverly Thomas started Leonard's and Virgie's Place in honor of her parents, who were known in the commun...
  • US meat supplier in China withdraws products

    US meat supplier in China withdraws products

    Sunday, July 27 2014 9:00 PM EDT2014-07-28 01:00:23 GMT
    OSI Group, an Aurora, Illinois-based company at the center of a food scandal in China, said that it was pulling all of the products produced by its Shanghai Husi unit from the marketplace.
    OSI Group, an Aurora, Illinois-based company at the center of a food scandal in China, said that it was pulling all of the products produced by its Shanghai Husi unit from the marketplace.

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A 10-year-old boy is very lucky to have a quick thinking big brother. His speedy actions Wednesday night helped keep a really scary situation from turning much worse when that boy caught fire in a freak accident.

It happened around 6:30 p.m. at an apartment building at 44th Street and Elliott Avenue in Louisville's Shawnee neighborhood.

"He was sitting on the third step and they threw the gas can and it was on fire and his head and his shirt caught on fire, his back caught on fire," said Charles Mosby, 13.

Mosby didn't know it at the time, but just below where he and his brother, Solomon, were sitting seconds before that happened, a basement clean out turned dangerous. Arson investigators said a gas can tipped over and a water heater ignited the fumes.

Major Henry Ott with the Louisville Metro Arson Squad said the people in the basement were doing everything they could do to fight the fire, tossing the gas can outside. "They were just throwing things out and when they threw it out, it's a tragic consequence, the kid's coming up the steps and he gets hit with a burning gas can," Ott said.

"I saw him run out into the street, yelling, 'Help! I'm on fire,'" Mosby said. "My mom rushed in to help."

So many of us might panic, but Mosby was ready to help, doing anything he could to save his little brother.

"I took my shirt off and beat the flame with my shirt," he said.

Solomon was badly hurt. Arson investigators said he has second and third degree burns on his back, neck and shoulder, but as he was brought to the hospital, he was awake and talking. Hopefully he should be ok, thanks in part to his big brother.

Major Ott said this was purely an accident and he doesn't think there will be any charges, but he adds it is one of the reasons why firefighters say never store a gas can in your home.

Copyright 2012 WAVE 3 News.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

310 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

FCC Public File
publicfile@kfvs12.com
573-335-1212
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFVS12. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.