Century-old Nacogdoches house destroyed by fire - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Century-old Nacogdoches house destroyed by fire

Posted: Updated:
Source: Kevin White Source: Kevin White
  • Heartland NewsMore>>

  • World's first dome home in Carbondale is preserved

    World's first dome home in Carbondale is preserved

    Saturday, April 19 2014 6:14 PM EDT2014-04-19 22:14:12 GMT
    A ground breaking event took was scheduled Saturday, April 19 near Southern Illinois University, to start the restoration and preservation of Buckminster Fuller’s private dome home.
    A ground breaking event took was scheduled Saturday, April 19 near Southern Illinois University, to start the restoration and preservation of Buckminster Fuller’s private dome home.
  • Skydiving returns, but at a cost

    Skydiving returns, but at a cost

    Saturday, April 19 2014 6:10 PM EDT2014-04-19 22:10:20 GMT
    One company is struggling after a tornado ripped apart their plane and hangar several years ago.
    One company is struggling after a tornado ripped apart their plane and hangar several years ago.
  • First lady, Jill Biden to visit Fort Campbell

    First lady, Jill Biden to visit Fort Campbell

    Saturday, April 19 2014 5:53 PM EDT2014-04-19 21:53:13 GMT
    First lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden are scheduled to visit Fort Campbell next week to speak with soldiers and their families at a jobs and career fair.
    First lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden are scheduled to visit Fort Campbell next week to speak with soldiers and their families at a jobs and career fair.
NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) -

A house built in the late 1800s burned to the ground Tuesday night in what fire investigators believe could have started with a gas leak.

The house, which had been divided into three apartments, had five occupants. Two were in the house at the time of the fire, but escaped safely. It is located on Hospital Street.

SLIDESHOW:

House fire

According to investigators, one of the residents had turned on an electric heater and then heard a "whoosh."

"I was in this apartment," Russ Havard, one of the home's occupants, said. "It made a little spark, and that's when I heard the noise behind the vent right there."

He opened the closet, saw a wall of fire, and got the other resident out safely.

"And the flames were probably already up in the ceiling about a quarter of the way."

Havard had seconds to call 911 and search for occupants. He found none. However, he didn't know that a hearing-impaired tenant was asleep in one of the units, totally unaware of the blaze. Fortunately, a neighbor reminded him of the possibility.

"And that was exactly what was going on, and he was kinda coming out coughing when they knocked the door in," Havard said.

Firefighters were called to the scene around 8 p.m.

Investigators believe there may have been a gas leak behind the walls. Once the heater came on, it sparked the fire.

"There was raw gas coming out of the main pipe in that room going straight into the attic space, and it spread pretty quick through the attic," Del Birdwell, a fire marshal with the Nacogdoches Fire Department, said.

The deaf man's hearing aids burned. The graduate art student lost her original works. An out-of-town tenant had to ask a friend to look for a cherished memory of her recently deceased dad. There were losses, but everyone is safe and grateful.

"The firefighters were great and the neighbors were just incredible, so that's the main thing I want to say."

Copyright 2012 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

310 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

FCC Public File
publicfile@kfvs12.com
573-335-1212
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFVS12. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.