One person injured, home heavily damaged in Saturday fire - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

One person injured, home heavily damaged in Saturday fire

Posted: Updated:
  • Heartland NewsMore>>

  • Does It Work: Juggle Bubbles

    Does It Work: Juggle Bubbles

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:00 AM EDT2014-08-20 11:00:26 GMT
    As summer is winding down, you might be trying to squeeze in last time outside with the family.
    As summer is winding down, you might be trying to squeeze in last time outside with the family.
  • Official: 4 of 6 child hostages freed in Harvey

    Official: 4 of 6 child hostages freed in Harvey

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 6:59 AM EDT2014-08-20 10:59:16 GMT
    A suburban Chicago police officer has been shot in an exchange of gunfire after responding to a call about a burglary in progress.
    Authorities say a fourth child has been freed by two suspects who barricaded themselves in a house in the southern Chicago suburb of Harvey after a foiled burglary.
  • Driver charged in crash that killed wife

    Driver charged in crash that killed wife

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 5:14 AM EDT2014-08-20 09:14:02 GMT
    A Kansas City man whose wife was killed when he crashed their car into a sign post has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.
    A Kansas City man whose wife was killed when he crashed their car into a sign post has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.
SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) -

One person was sent to the hospital following a fire in northern Smith County on Saturday afternoon.

The fire started around 1 p.m. off of County Road 314, that is near Tyler State Park.

Red Springs Fire Department was the first on scene and called in backup when they saw the home fully engulfed with smoke that could be seen for miles. 

Eventually, there were five departments all battling the fire, which took about an hour and a half to contain. Red Springs Fire Chief Tim Thompson confirmed one person was taken to the hospital with severe burns. 

Despite all the manpower, Lindale's Fire Department's Assistant Chief Clay Williamson said there were all of factors working against them.

"The wind had a little factor of it feeding the fire, make it bigger, make it hotter. Other than that, the water supply for fire hoses was a little limited for us,"  Williamson said.

Williamson said they used a foam system to suppress the rest of the ambers and even though the fire was out, the smoke would probably continue for the next couple of hours.

He said fire crews would monitor the property to make sure the fire did not spark back up.

Officials say the cause of the fire was spilled gas igniting from a dropped match in the garage. The young boy who dropped the match was the person that was injured. The extend of his injuries are not yet know at this time.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

310 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

FCC Public File
publicfile@kfvs12.com
573-335-1212
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFVS12. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.