Space heater may be to blame in house fire - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Space heater may be to blame in house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • Heartland NewsMore>>

  • 2 men wanted after high-speed chase, crash

    2 men wanted after high-speed chase, crash

    Thursday, July 31 2014 8:36 AM EDT2014-07-31 12:36:12 GMT
    The area where the car crashed in Union County. (Source: Carly O'Keefe, KFVS)The area where the car crashed in Union County. (Source: Carly O'Keefe, KFVS)
    Police are currently searching for two men involved in a high-speed chase that ended in a crash overnight in Union County.
    Police are currently searching for two men involved in a high-speed chase that ended in a crash overnight in Union County.
  • Police investigate Missouri mayor in cycling crash

    Police investigate Missouri mayor in cycling crash

    Thursday, July 31 2014 4:51 AM EDT2014-07-31 08:51:47 GMT
    Police in a St. Louis-area city are investigating contradictory reports from their mayor and a bicyclist who says the elected official caused him to crash.
    Police in a St. Louis-area city are investigating contradictory reports from their mayor and a bicyclist who says the elected official caused him to crash.
  • Firm says Missouri school soil isn't hazardous

    Firm says Missouri school soil isn't hazardous

    Thursday, July 31 2014 4:50 AM EDT2014-07-31 08:50:47 GMT
    An engineering firm hired by a Bridgeton-area school district has concluded that soil from schools 2 miles from a radioactive landfill didn't show high levels of radiation.
    An engineering firm hired by a Bridgeton-area school district has concluded that soil from schools 2 miles from a radioactive landfill didn't show high levels of radiation.
CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) -

Firefighters say a space heater or wall heater is likely to blame for a fire at home on N. Water Street.

According to Cape Girardeau firefighter Brad Dillow says crews were called out around 9 p.m. Friday.

Dillow says the female occupant of the home told firefighters she smelled smoke and went into the living room where she saw the couch was on fire.

Firefighters say the couch was pushed up against a heater and ignited.

The woman reportedly tried to extinguish the fire on her own. When that didn't work, firefighters say she called 911.

The home sustained moderate damaged but the woman was not injured.

Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow

310 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

FCC Public File
publicfile@kfvs12.com
573-335-1212
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFVS12. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.