House fire in Whately Wednesday night leaves two women dead - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

House fire in Whately on Wednesday night leaves 2 women dead

Posted: Updated:
  • Heartland NewsMore>>

  • B-24 plane flies passengers to the past

    B-24 plane flies passengers to the past

    Friday, July 25 2014 12:04 PM EDT2014-07-25 16:04:44 GMT
    Veterans, their families and history buffs boarded a plane into the past at the Williamson County Regional Airport Thursday.
    Veterans, their families and history buffs boarded a plane into the past at the Williamson County Regional Airport Thursday.
  • COPY-SIU to hold special election for student rep

    SIU to hold special election for student rep

    Friday, July 25 2014 12:03 PM EDT2014-07-25 16:03:43 GMT
    Southern Illinois University plans to hold a special election this fall because of an error which officials say invalidated its Board of Trustees student representative election.
    Southern Illinois University plans to hold a special election this fall because of an error which officials say invalidated its Board of Trustees student representative election.
  • Heartland Cooks 7/25/14 - Perry's Spicy Stuffed Poppers

    Heartland Cooks 7/25/14 - Perry's Spicy Stuffed Poppers

    Friday, July 25 2014 12:00 PM EDT2014-07-25 16:00:47 GMT
    This week’s Heartland Cook, Perry Byrd of Princeton, Kentucky serves up a spicy appetizer sure to get guests at your picnic or cookout talking. Perry’s Spicy Stuffed Poppers are a fantastic finger food with a kick. Spicy jalapeno peppers are stuffed with a cream cheese filling and wrapped in delicious bacon. If you are not a fan of extremely spicy food, substitute milder tri-color peppers for a similar flavor without the burn.Ingredients:24 Jalapenos2 packages cream cheese (8 oz. each)1 ½ cup...
    This week’s Heartland Cook, Perry Byrd of Princeton, Kentucky serves up a spicy appetizer sure to get guests at your picnic or cookout talking. Perry’s Spicy Stuffed Poppers are a fantastic finger food with a kick. Spicy jalapeno peppers are stuffed with a cream cheese filling and wrapped in delicious bacon. If you are not a fan of extremely spicy food, substitute milder tri-color peppers for a similar flavor without the burn.Ingredients:24 Jalapenos2 packages cream cheese (8 oz. each)1 ½ cup...
WHATELY, MA (WSHM) -

A mother and daughter were killed following a fire on State Road in Whatley late Wednesday night.

The victims in the fatal fire have been identified as Sonia Golonka, 64, and Mary Golonka, 94.

"We believe that the daughter came from upstairs to try and get the mother out of the house and didn't make it," said Whatley Fire Chief John Hannum.

Hannum says Sonia made the 911 call late last night after a fire started in the home she shares with her mother Mary.

"The fire was rolling through from the back room to the porch and into the main part of the house," said Hannum.

When officials arrived on scene they rescued the mother and daughter who were both unconscious from the burning home and rushed them to Cooley Dickinson Hospital where they were pronounced dead.

Whatley fire officials received help battling the fire from several neighboring communities including Hatfield and Sunderland. Chief Hannum said heavy wind last night made the fire even harder for firefighters to fight.

Officials say that the fire was caused by a malfunction of the fire place. An investigation revealed that the fire started underneath the floor of an old prefabricated fireplace where over time the fire proof brick had cracked and the metal fireplace rusted and decayed.

The family's property is known as Golonka Farm, which opened in the small Franklin County community back in 1956. According to the company's website Mary started the farm with her husband and now her youngest son and his wife run it.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says that homeowners need to have their heating appliances checked by a licensed professional each year. Heating appliances include items like wood stoves, chimney's and propone or oil fueled furnaces. Coan says that having regular maintenance preformed on these items is a key to preventing fires.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

310 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

FCC Public File
publicfile@kfvs12.com
573-335-1212
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFVS12. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.