Residents looted, without power after fire - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Residents looted, without power after fire

(WMC-TV) - Some residents said their apartments have been looted after a large fire tore through the building. Other neighbors complain of a lack of power in the Midtown neighborhood.

Residents of a local apartment building are continuing to face challenges days after a fire. They feel stuck in the  complex and blame some of the problems on the landlord.

"We have no other choice but to stay here," stated resident Teresa Horn.

Weekend looting spooked residents of the fire-damaged Colonial apartments on Madison Avenue.

The impending cold snap is something else to worry about.

"When I came home this morning, my roommate was under all of her blankets and half of mine," continued resident Nicole Jordan.

Utilities to the building were shut off as crews battled Friday night's fire. Only a few units were gutted.

However, remaining residents said the landlord has given them the cold shoulder and not shared when power might be restored.

"Maybe Thursday, maybe if we're lucky," Horn said.

Landlord Winfred Johnson made no promises when Action News 5 confronted him with the concerns of his tenants.

"I don't do miracles. So, there you go," Johnson said. "When you get something like this, you can't turn around in five minutes and get everybody back on line. Some of them will be disgruntled, but you can't make everybody happy," stated Johnson.

According to Johnson, MLGW wanted an inspection before turning on the electricity.

Although an MLGW spokesman said the power has been kept off at Johnson's request.

Residents argued they do not expect miracles from Johnson and only want a place to stay warm, as soon as possible.

"Things could have been handled faster than they were," said Jordan.

As for the looting, Johnson said it was limited to appliances taken from fire-damaged apartments.

Criminal charges have yet to be filed to Friday's fire, but many residents suspect the cause was arson.

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly