KFD: Fire caused by candle igniting a mattress - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

KFD: Fire caused by candle igniting a mattress

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy of Kannapolis Fire Department Courtesy of Kannapolis Fire Department
  • Heartland NewsMore>>

  • Veteran to walk the length of Illinois to raise awareness

    Veteran to walk the length of Illinois to raise awareness

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:46 PM EDT2014-07-23 23:46:30 GMT
    The distance from Cairo, Illinois to the Wisconsin border is 435 miles. Will Trow will walk every mile.
    The distance from Cairo, Illinois to the Wisconsin border is 435 miles. Will Trow will walk every mile.
  • Debate about whether “Right to Farm” is right for Missouri

    Debate about whether “Right to Farm” is right for Missouri

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:45 PM EDT2014-07-23 23:45:00 GMT
    It’s a heavily debated issue that will come to a vote on the August ballot. It’s called "Right to Farm" or Amendment 1.Many farmers say it would protect them from too much government regulation, but other locals say it would keep the government from protecting the environment.
    It’s a heavily debated issue that will come to a vote on the August ballot. It’s called "Right to Farm" or Amendment 1.Many farmers say it would protect them from too much government regulation, but other locals say it would keep the government from protecting the environment.
  • Anna Fire Department to receive FEMA grant

    Anna Fire Department to receive FEMA grant

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:42 PM EDT2014-07-23 23:42:55 GMT
    The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has awarded $1,607,356 in grants to eight communities throughout Illinois.
    The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has awarded $1,607,356 in grants to eight communities throughout Illinois.
KANNAPOLIS, NC (WBTV) -

A fire broke out just before 6:00 p.m. Friday evening at a house off of Dale Earnhardt Boulevard according to the Kannapolis Fire Department.

Firefighters say the cause of the fire was accidental when a candle was dropped and rolled under a bed igniting the mattress.

When fire crews got on scene they saw flames through the roof on the back side of the home.

A resident told firefighters everyone had made it out of the home.

Fire crews tried entering the home with hose lines to put out the fire but were forced to leave.

Battalion Chief Josh Clay said the "evacuation was ordered based on the reports of high heat and zero visibility type conditions,"

Firefighters say once crews were outside, they used larger hoses to attack the fire jutting through the roof.

After the fire was knocked down, crews went back inside to check for hot spots.

Officials say no injuries were reported.

The red cross is assisting the 8 displaced people with temporary housing.

Concord Fire & Life Safety, Cabarrus EMS and the Kannapolis Police assisted on scene.

Landis Fire Department assisted with station coverage.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

310 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

FCC Public File
publicfile@kfvs12.com
573-335-1212
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFVS12. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.