Fire puts temporary halt on Meals on Wheels - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Fire puts temporary halt on Meals on Wheels

Posted: Updated:
An early morning fire at the Bonne Terre Senior Center put the brakes on the Meals on Wheels program Tuesday. An early morning fire at the Bonne Terre Senior Center put the brakes on the Meals on Wheels program Tuesday.
Bonne Terre Senior Center Administrator Shannon Williams surveys the damage. Bonne Terre Senior Center Administrator Shannon Williams surveys the damage.
BONNE TERRE, MO (KFVS) -

An early morning fire at the Bonne Terre Senior Center put the brakes on the Meals on Wheels program Tuesday.

The fire destroyed a storage building that contained freezers and refrigerators filled with food as well as files and paperwork.

The center provides meals for up to 200 people every week day. Due to the fire, workers were unable to prepare food, leaving many people without the Meals on Wheels service.

“It’s just disheartening to see,” Center Administrator Shannon Williams said. “Everything that we function with everyday and serve our community was stored in this structure.”

The storage building is a complete loss, but Williams says she’s thankful the main building is untouched.

Gregory Roberts is a regular patron at the senior center.

“I’ve been coming here since 1996,” Roberts said. “We are greatly dependent on the senior center here.”

Volunteers deliver food to about 80 people who can’t leave their home on their own through the Meals on Wheels program. 

“Some of them, without our meal everyday, would not have a hot meal,” Williams said.

Williams says many seniors had to eat their back-up meals.

“We supply them with an emergency pack which provides shelf-stable meals for three days,” Williams said.

She says with all the support from the community, the center will be back up and running Wednesday.

“I keep thinking the more times I come out and look at the building it will be normal and it’s all just a dream, but it’s not, so we can overcome it,” Williams said.

Williams says she does not yet know the cost of the damages. She says the cause of the fire was electrical.

Copyright 2014 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

310 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

FCC Public File
publicfile@kfvs12.com
573-335-1212
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFVS12. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.