Victim identified in deadly Shawneetown house fire - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Victim identified in deadly Shawneetown house fire

SHAWNEETOWN, IL (KFVS) -

A Shawneetown man is the victim of a deadly fire.

According to Saline County Coroner Jerry Watson, 911 was called at 7:47 a.m. Wednesday about a house on fire at 265 W. Logan Street in Shawneetown.

According to the Fire Chief Terry Golden, the Shawneetown Fire Department, Shawneetown Police Department and Gallatin County EMS were initially dispatched to the scene. Shawneetown Fire Department requested assistance from Ridgway Fire Department and Eldorado Fire Department.

Mark P. Scates, 42, of Shawneetown was pronounced dead at Harrisburg Medical Center at 8:41 a.m., according to Chief Terry Golden. Watson says the preliminary cause of death is smoke inhalation.

The fire is under investigation by the Shawneetown Fire Department, Shawneetown Police Department, Illinois Fire Marshal’s Office and the Saline County Coroner’s Office.

There will be a toxicology test performed to find out more information.

Copyright 2014 KFVS. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • McDonald's customers sue over paying for cheese on burgers

    McDonald's customers sue over paying for cheese on burgers

    Sunday, May 27 2018 6:35 AM EDT2018-05-27 10:35:01 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 6:35 AM EDT2018-05-27 10:35:01 GMT
    The plantiffs claim McDonald's has been overcharging them because they have been paying for cheese they didn't want nor receive. (Source: Flickr)The plantiffs claim McDonald's has been overcharging them because they have been paying for cheese they didn't want nor receive. (Source: Flickr)

    The plaintiffs claim McDonald's has been "unjustly enriched" because customers have been paying for cheese they don't want.

    The plaintiffs claim McDonald's has been "unjustly enriched" because customers have been paying for cheese they don't want.

  • Grieving couple unable to cremate stillborn, conjoined infants due to NC law

    Grieving couple unable to cremate stillborn, conjoined infants due to NC law

    Sunday, May 27 2018 2:24 AM EDT2018-05-27 06:24:37 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 2:24 AM EDT2018-05-27 06:24:37 GMT
    A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber. (Source: WRAL/CNN)A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber. (Source: WRAL/CNN)

    A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber.

    A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber.

  • Water moccasin invades home, puts family into action

    Water moccasin invades home, puts family into action

    Friday, May 25 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-05-25 18:57:52 GMT
    This water moccasin entered a family's home. (Photo courtesy Krystal King)This water moccasin entered a family's home. (Photo courtesy Krystal King)

    An unwelcome visitor was cause for some tense moments and quick action in the King household Saturday morning. Krystal King says it was about 7 a.m. when Stephen, her oldest son, came into his parents' room to notify them about the "big snake in the bathroom."

    An unwelcome visitor was cause for some tense moments and quick action in the King household Saturday morning. Krystal King says it was about 7 a.m. when Stephen, her oldest son, came into his parents' room to notify them about the "big snake in the bathroom."

Powered by Frankly