New charges arise after man kills girlfriend's dad - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

New charges arise after man kills girlfriend's dad


A man who pleaded guilty to beating his girlfriend's father to death is facing new charges.

Prosecutors say 22-year-old Brandon Church killed Kerry Deyo for trying to protect his daughter in July 2011. Church pleaded guilty to second-degree murder just three days into his trial.

Friday Church was sentenced to 22 years in prison.

Church is also facing several new charges filed just this month in Platte County. Since his arrest for the murder, he has been charged with the Class D felony of endangering a corrections employee.

Court documents say on Jan. 1, 2014, deputies said Church spit onto the face of a deputy, intentionally causing his saliva to go into the deputy's eye. The deputy had to get medical treatment. According to court documents, Church also fought with other inmates and threatened to assault or kill staff members.

Church is also charged with the Class D felony of damaging jail property. Deputies say on Aug. 18, 2011 Church purposely damaged the window of a cell that cost about $425 to replace.

In May prosecutors also charged Church with felony assault and armed criminal action for another beating that happened just eight days before the murder of his girlfriend's father.

According to court documents, on July 14, 2011 Church got into an argument with a man in the 5500 block of Meadowvale Drive in Kansas City, MO. Investigators say Church hit the victim over the head with a glass bottle, struck him with pots and pans, hit him with his fists, choked him and beat him with a baseball bat. The victim in that case had to get four staples in the top and back of his head.

Church could face up to life in prison for the beating death of Deyo.

"This defendant literally beat to death his girlfriend's father, merely because the father was trying to protect his daughter. He committed a horrendous crime and deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison," said Platte County Prosecuting Attorney Eric Zahnd.

Evidence at trial showed that around midnight on July 22, 2011, Church and Deyo got into an altercation after Church returned with Deyo's daughter from the Platte County Fair. Church put Deyo into a headlock, choked Deyo, and pulled him forcibly to the ground.

Dr. B. Robert Pietak, the Jackson County medical examiner, testified that Deyo suffered a broken neck and was likely paralyzed after being choked by Church. Church then straddled Deyo and repeatedly punched him in the head and face while he lay on a hardwood floor. A witness said Deyo was not moving as Church beat Deyo.

Pietak testified that Deyo suffered significant head wounds and died from multiple blunt force trauma. Church then kicked Deyo, saying "I think he's dead."

After rifling through Deyo's pockets, Church fled. He was arrested by Platte County Sheriff's Deputies and the Missouri State Highway Patrol less than two hours later.

While being transported to the Platte County Jail, Church laughed about killing Deyo, according to court documents. Church also threatened another member of the Deyo family.

"This defendant showed no remorse after he brutally beat a man to death. Instead, he laughed about it and threatened to beat another family member," Zahnd said. 

Church faces up to life in prison for the murder, and Zahnd said he would seek a life sentence in the case. Church is scheduled to be sentenced on May 16 at 1 p.m. in Platte County.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly