How to know which agency to call for pothole repair - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

How to know which agency to call for pothole repair

Posted: Updated:

Shop Road is just one road in Columbia plagued with potholes and two Midlands families wanted answers after they both hit a large hole on the side of the road just moments from one another this week. 

Photos at the time on an accident tell the story for Cierra Nazareth. Her mother, brother, and grandfather were in the Jeep when it hit an enormous hole on the side of Shop Road and North Shorecrest Drive.

"They hit that hole," Nazareth said. "It flipped the whole Jeep. My mom said several times. My grandfather, he's too far up in his age for this. He had a laceration on his head. They had to go in and clean the glass out."

What makes the wreck Nazareth's family survived even more astounding is that it happened again just moments later.

"The Highway Patrolman came and I asked him what those people said, he said the same thing you said," said Edwina Aaron.

Aaron is back at her restaurant, Homemades in Chapin, but she says she's still in a lot of pain.

"I was actually thrown to the top of my vehicle where my neck popped," Aaron said. "I felt that instantly. When's the next person going to hit this thing? I was very concerned about it last night."

According to the department of transportation, one of the problems with getting roads repaired, is people are calling the wrong agency.

"The edge of it washed out, and we've tried filling it up with products from Lowe's several times, it did not take," said Chirs Daly with Harvest Hope Food Bank.

People who worked near North Shorecrest Drive said they'd made multiple calls to fix the hole but never saw any action taken.

"I think maybe at the time they thought it was more of a drainage issue, which it very well may be, but they didn't direct us to DOT, no," Daly said.

Columbia Public Works Department said they get calls for problems on state or county maintained roads frequently and try to direct the caller to the right agency but it's tough to know who to call.

You can also file a claim with the DOT if your car is damaged or if you suffer an injury from a damaged road but it will require a lot of paperwork and the claim may not be rewarded if it doesn't fit the criteria.

DOT will alert other agencies to road damage if you fill out a work request on the DOT website and it isn't a road they maintain, they will try to get it to the proper agency.

Follow WIS:    

Copyright 2014 WIS. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

310 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFVS12. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.