Hundreds of vultures have taken over this neighborhood - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Hundreds of vultures have taken over this neighborhood

Eddie-Rhea Walker Eddie-Rhea Walker
AMERICUS, GA (WALB) -

The Department of Natural Resources plans to use loud noisemakers to try to scare away hundreds of vultures that have taken over an Americus neighborhood.

A DNR expert met with concerned residents about the problem.

People who live on Mayo Street say many of the vultures have moved in the past few days, but they didn't go far, and the residents worry they'll come back.

"It was covered, every piece of the ground was covered," said Eddie-Rhea Walker.

Walker says vultures have been taking over her yard and neighborhood for the past few months. "I'm desperate, I want them to do something, I lived here all my life and this is the first time that we've had this problem," said Walker.

Residents on Mayo Street in Americus say these birds are a problem, causing damage to rooftops and cars. Walker says she's afraid of the vultures.

"I looked out my window and I almost lost my mind," said Walker   Walker says she can't even let her dog outside because of the birds.

"I said my goodness, they were doing everything. They were acting human, they were playing games. By the time I came to my den, there were two at my door. I said my God they are trying to get in,"  said Walker.

Walker says the city is working with a DNR representative to find ways to keep the birds away.

"That's what the meeting was about this morning, when I was up there. To tell them there still needs to be something done,"  said Walker.

Walker says she is worried the Vultures could come back. Residents say the birds are still in the area. They've moved  to Jefferson Street, which is two blocks away.

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

'Austin Powers' star Verne Troyer dies at age 49

Saturday, April 21 2018 4:51 PM EDT2018-04-21 20:51:28 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:03 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:03:39 GMT

Verne Troyer, an actor famous for his role as Mini-Me in the "Austin Powers" trilogy, has passed away.

Delta passenger fined $500 for apple

Saturday, April 21 2018 1:01 PM EDT2018-04-21 17:01:03 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:45 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:45:42 GMT
    adlock's healthy snack turned into a tough reality to stomach. (Source: KDVR/CNN)adlock's healthy snack turned into a tough reality to stomach. (Source: KDVR/CNN)

Crystal Tadlock is not happy about the fine she said

Crystal Tadlock is not happy about the fine she said

Teens beat, carjack pregnant elementary school teacher

Saturday, April 21 2018 8:53 AM EDT2018-04-21 12:53:43 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 1:57 PM EDT2018-04-21 17:57:25 GMT
    Police Police are searching for four teenage girls who "smacked" the woman and drove off with her Kia Sportage.Police Police are searching for four teenage girls who "smacked" the woman and drove off with her Kia Sportage.
    Police are searching for four teenage girls 'smacked' the woman and drove off with her Kia Sportage.Police are searching for four teenage girls 'smacked' the woman and drove off with her Kia Sportage.