PADUCAH, Ky. (AP) - Two top officials in McCracken County have declined to take plea offers and plan to go to trial on charges of tampering with public records.
The Paducah Sun (http://bit.ly/1lWem0u) reports special Prosecutor G.L. Ovey said on Wednesday during a pretrial conference that the offers to Judge-Executive Van Newberry and Deputy Judge-Executive Doug Harnice have been withdrawn and a trial date of Jan. 6 was set.
The two were indicted by a grand jury earlier this year in connection with unauthorized zone changes in the county affecting at least 500 pieces of property. Both have pleaded not guilty.
Will Kautz, who is representing Newberry, says his client won't enter a plea because he hasn't done anything wrong.
Information from: The Paducah Sun, http://www.paducahsun.com
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.