Pit bull saved deaf teen from house fire - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Pit bull saved deaf teen from house fire

Posted: Updated:
A pit bull saves a deaf child from a fire at the family’s home. (Source: WISH/CNN) A pit bull saves a deaf child from a fire at the family’s home. (Source: WISH/CNN)

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH/CNN) – A pit bull is being called a hero for saving a deaf and sleeping teen from a raging house fire.

“He's always been good with people that comes over; he's never been really aggressive,” stepfather James Bernard said. “He's just like one of the family members basically.”

Two-year-old Ace is getting a lot of attention lately, and on Wednesday afternoon, the Bernard family’s pit bull became an instant hero.

Nick Lamb, 13, is legally deaf and was sleeping without his cochlear implants inside his Indianapolis home.

“He woke me up because I couldn't hear anything and I was asleep and I looked around my room and I smelled smoke and I could see a little bit of smoke in my room,” Nick said.

“He had to get up on him in his face and stuff - he's a hero,” mother Lindsay Bernard said.

The fire department took photos of the home when they arrived on the scene, showing how flames quickly took over the home.

“There was a bunch of loud popping noises and everything else, but the dog obviously knew something wrong and he went and woke him up,” James Bernard said.

Nick was in his bedroom on the second floor. He says when Ace woke him up, he quickly grabbed one of his two cochlear implants and they escaped.

“I took a breath and I went downstairs with Ace and the whole house was covered in smoke and a little bit of fire,” Nick said.

There is not much left of the home, but the Bernard family says they have so much more to be thankful for.

“I would have never seen this from him. I didn't see this coming,” James Bernard said.

Most of all, they are thankful for Ace.

“I love him a lot more now,” Nick said.

Investigators think the fire may have started in the garage and estimate the damage at $175,000. The Indianapolis Fire Department victim’s assistance is helping the Bernard’s find shelter.

The family did have insurance.

Copyright 2014 WISH via CNN. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow

310 Broadway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

FCC Public File
publicfile@kfvs12.com
573-335-1212
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KFVS12. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.