Gulfport firefighters stretch manpower while battling two fires - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Gulfport firefighters stretch manpower while battling two fires

Gulfport is in the middle of a fire academy to get the next batch of firefighters ready to protect and serve.  (Photo source: WLOX News) Gulfport is in the middle of a fire academy to get the next batch of firefighters ready to protect and serve. (Photo source: WLOX News)
Officials said on Thursday night, firefighters were working a fully engulfed house fire when a second call came in about a commercial fire.  (Photo source: WLOX News) Officials said on Thursday night, firefighters were working a fully engulfed house fire when a second call came in about a commercial fire. (Photo source: WLOX News)
GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) -

It was all hands on deck for Gulfport firefighters. Officials said on Thursday night, firefighters were working a fully engulfed house fire when a second call came in about a commercial fire.

Fire Chief Michael Beyerstedt said taking on those blazes took so much manpower, he had to call Long Beach, Biloxi and the airport fire departments and ask them to be ready to come running if needed.

As workers removed the burned insulation and scorched equipment from a building at Trinity Yachts, officials were relieved a fire hadn't caused more damage at the Seaway Road shipbuilding facility.

"It didn't spread. It stayed in one small room that had files and some electrical services," said John Dane III, President of Trinity Yachts. "We believe that something happened with the electrical services that sparked the fire, and then the fire department did a great job putting it out."

At the same time some Gulfport firefighters were trying to put out the fire at Trinity Yachts, other firefighters were battling a mobile home fire in another section of town. Beyerstedt said at one point, 26 firefighters from nine of the city's 11 stations were at a fire scene.

"The guys did a wonderful job," said Beyerstedt. "The fire, especially the one at Trinity Yachts, was a very dangerous fire, because it was in a very high voltage room. Water and high voltage don't mix often."

Beyerstedt said before taking on such a dangerous job, it's important firefighters have the right training. Gulfport is in the middle of a fire academy to get the next batch of firefighters ready to protect and serve.

"We're going to be training them for the next 10 weeks or so, and they learn everything from ground zero. We like that because then we get to put our own stamp on how we do things into it," said Beyerstedt.

Gulfport firefighters cut a hole in the side of the Trinity Yachts building that caught fire to help put the fire out and keep it from spreading.

Copyright 2014 WLOX. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • McDonald's customers sue over paying for cheese on burgers

    McDonald's customers sue over paying for cheese on burgers

    Sunday, May 27 2018 6:35 AM EDT2018-05-27 10:35:01 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 6:35 AM EDT2018-05-27 10:35:01 GMT
    The plantiffs claim McDonald's has been overcharging them because they have been paying for cheese they didn't want nor receive. (Source: Flickr)The plantiffs claim McDonald's has been overcharging them because they have been paying for cheese they didn't want nor receive. (Source: Flickr)

    The plaintiffs claim McDonald's has been "unjustly enriched" because customers have been paying for cheese they don't want.

    The plaintiffs claim McDonald's has been "unjustly enriched" because customers have been paying for cheese they don't want.

  • Water moccasin invades home, puts family into action

    Water moccasin invades home, puts family into action

    Friday, May 25 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-05-25 18:57:52 GMT
    This water moccasin entered a family's home. (Photo courtesy Krystal King)This water moccasin entered a family's home. (Photo courtesy Krystal King)

    An unwelcome visitor was cause for some tense moments and quick action in the King household Saturday morning. Krystal King says it was about 7 a.m. when Stephen, her oldest son, came into his parents' room to notify them about the "big snake in the bathroom."

    An unwelcome visitor was cause for some tense moments and quick action in the King household Saturday morning. Krystal King says it was about 7 a.m. when Stephen, her oldest son, came into his parents' room to notify them about the "big snake in the bathroom."

  • Grieving couple unable to cremate stillborn, conjoined infants due to NC law

    Grieving couple unable to cremate stillborn, conjoined infants due to NC law

    Sunday, May 27 2018 2:24 AM EDT2018-05-27 06:24:37 GMT
    Sunday, May 27 2018 2:24 AM EDT2018-05-27 06:24:37 GMT
    A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber. (Source: WRAL/CNN)A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber. (Source: WRAL/CNN)

    A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber.

    A North Carolina law on cremation procedures forbids the cremation of more than one person within the same cremation chamber.

Powered by Frankly